I have always had a really bad habit; eating when I am bored… or happy…or sad… Actually, I would just grab something to eat anytime I could.
It was never like a big meal or anything, just constant snacks. When I watched television, I would eat something, while doing homework I would eat too, and who doesn’t need a snack when you are with your friends too. Basically, anytime it is possible, I felt like eating something.
I have been combatting this for quite some years now, especially since I get sick if I do not eat often enough.
That is why it has just been easier to never stop eating… of course that didn’t work out well, and I ended up putting on a bit of weight and overall just feeling more tired (obviously it is NOT healthy to eat whenever possible, so I have tried a lot of things, to stop this from happening)
After realizing that I did not have too eat all the time to keep my blood sugar in check, I still kept on eating simply because I was used to doing just that. The snacks could go from an apple, but sometimes I might just eat a bar of chocolate instead- what I great idea, huh? (Can you feel the sarcasm?)
Some days I would even go look at what is in the fridge about 20 times a day. Not necessarily to eat something, but I just had to check out if the fridge had all the answers to my questions- spoiler: it didn’t.
To this day whenever I visit my parents, I take a look in their fridge as one of the first things. Not so much to eat anything, but just to see what’s up.
If you are like me, and eat based on emotion, or just eat because you have a hand free: this post might be just for you
One of the first things I talked about on this blog, was actually the post 35 things to do beside eating out of boredom, so if you want to see how far we have come since then, you can go read that- just a disclaimer though, this post includes pretty much the same, but more.
Now first things first. If you are eating because of a psychological problem, these tips are NOT the ones to seek out first. Before going into these, try reaching out to someone first, find out exactly where your trouble resides, and try solving that problem weighing you down.
Talk to someone, preferable a professional, but second best; a friend or someone you trust.
No matter what troubles you have or how deep inside you they reside, I hope everything will go well for you, and I will forever cheer you on! (cheering intensifies)
Now to the actual things you can do instead of eating:
- Drink a glass of water
- Make a cup of your favorite tea/coffee
- Take a long walk
- Go for a run or jog
- Read your favorite book, or start reading a new one
- Walk your dog- or cat -or hamster (If that is possible)
- Look at old pictures
- Watch a movie
- Just take 10 deep breaths, then 10 more, then 10 more…
- Finish a project you have stalled forever
- Go work in your garden
- Pamper yourself
- Play some kind of game – computer, playstation, board game, doesn’t matter
- Go for at bike ride
- Clean something, maybe one whole room in your house
- Get a furry friend- I’m not saying you have to get a pet, but you could borrow a friends pet for a day- for me, animals always make me smile
- Write a list of stuff that makes you happy
- Take a loooong bath
- Do your chores – might as well get them out of the way
- Run an errand
- Check and de-clutter all you mail – both email and mailbox
- Write about something great that has happened to you
- Stretch or do some yoga
- Doodle or draw
- Go to a local event
- Get a beauty treatment/change your hairstyle (I once had red hair that faded into orange)
- Clean out your closet and donate what you don’t use
- Brush your teeth
- Do something that makes you laugh- funny videos , a great movie or maybe just a great imagination could do the trick
- Paint your nails
- Learn something new
- Play with makeup
- Try something completely new, like going fishing, or bowling, or whatever 😉
- Write a to do list I looooooooove lists
- Do something creative
- Do something you have wanted to for a long time (I tried winter bathing once-that is SO cold)
- Go to the zoo
- Hug someone- preferable someone you know 😛
- Go take some pictures – I love playing with my camera and you can get some really pretty shots sometimes
- Go shopping – or fake it. You can put stuff in your shopping cart (online that is) and just don’t buy it when you are done craving food
- Go to an animal park
- Visit family
- Go watch the beautiful nature
- Set up some kind of performance
- Go sightseeing in your hometown
- Spend time on your favorite platform – YouTube, Instagram, Facebook – you name it
What do you guys usually do when you are bored?
I hope you all have a happy life, one day at a time!